Sunday, December 5, 2010

Changing your avatar isn't enough

Over the last few days I have read blogs, comments, Tweets, etc. regarding the absurdity of cartoon profile pics on Facebook to raise awareness for child abuse. I had decided since this was such a popular subject and everyone has an opinion, I wasn't going near it. I am sure we are all getting tired of reading about it; however, I changed my mind. As a woman, that's my prerogative, right?

I admit, I changed my avatar to "Droopy". I didn't do it because I thought by doing so I was single handed changing or stopping child abuse. I am not that naive. I did it because, well, I couldn't think of a good reason not to. I think Droopy is adorable and I always loved his attitude. By changing my avatar I am hurting no one. So why shouldn't I change it?

In the big scheme of things, the opinion that it's a ridiculous idea and we should be doing more than changing an avatar is correct. It is my hope against all hope that just one of my Facebook friends sees my little cartoon character and thinks, "wow, I have been sheltered and forgot this is an issue. Maybe I should do something about the neighbor who abuses his child, or do something to help the little boy down the road whose mother is always drunk or spaced out from drugs." Maybe it will not happen, but there is always a chance.

One blog suggested we turn off our computer and get off our ass and actually do something. Give to shelters, volunteer, anything. She's right. We should do something and I want to, but it isn't always that easy.

I am broke. I am struggling to make it day by day. I am ashamed to admit this, but there have been times when I have gone to our local food pantry for a box of food so my children can eat. I have been searching high and low for a job, but there are few available in my small rural town. I have little experience and am competing against those that do. Even at fast food restaurants who were once begging for help, jobs are being fought for. So, please don't judge me because I am poor. I am honestly trying. I simply can not afford to give food, supplies, essentials or money to shelters.

Time wise, I am a mother of four children and help my husband push his furniture restoration business, as well as do his book keeping. Although business is slow right now, hence the reason we are broke, I still stay busy. When I have checked into volunteering I have found they want you to commit to a certain time. I can't do that, especially as the job search continues.

Does that mean I do nothing and believe changing my avatar is enough? Hell no. Do I do enough? Probably not. Do I do what I can? Yes.

I don't help on a huge scale, but I help one child at a time. My home is always open and everyone, with the exception of one nineteen year old man (that's another story), is welcome. I don't care if teens are rich or poor, super intelligent or struggling to pass, straight, gay, or bi, white, black, Hispanic or martian, popular or a loner, jock or nerd. None of that matters to my family.

God is amazing and has always provided. I have seen our home filled with my own four kids plus six more. We had little food in the pantry, but somehow found a way to stretch it so each child was full. Three of the children at our home one of those times has a drug addict mother, a father in jail, and grandparents that drove trucks and were never home. These kids ate one meal a day during the week when they had free school lunch. On weekends, they were often lucky to have a piece of toast with peanut butter. I gladly fed them every chance I could. Not only were they provided food, but they were provided something much more important. A loving caring place. They were always amazed we had family dinners and were astounded we said Thanks each meal. Eventually, these boys were asking to say the prayer.

Another young girl practically lives with us and calls me Mom. Her mother passed away four years ago from a drug overdose. Her step-mother had been abusive after that. We met her only a year ago, and since then she has a safe haven. A place where she can be herself, know love and never be afraid of abuse. Yes, I have yelled at her for coming in late without calling, but she knows it's because I was worried. I treat her exactly as I do my own flesh and blood children.

We have a friend whose parents are uninterested in him, except when they are telling him he isn't good enough. I know of no physical abuse, but I have my suspicions. I do know that he is emotionally abused. Again, I provide a safe haven where he can discuss anything and everything without fear of being ostracized. I gave him his first birthday party he has had since he was five. I hug him every chance I get.

It isn't unusual for me to receive a call at three in the morning from a kid who just needs to talk.

I have only been in one situation where the parent was known to be actually abusive, and I have worked hard with my sister in law to remove the 9 month old child from his parent's care. My sis in law now has temporary custody and I keep him during the day. I call it co-parenting. If and when I run into the situation again, you can be your bottom dollar I will be right there fighting with all my might to protect that child.

Bottom line, if you change your avatar, make sure you do it because you truly care and aren't just following the crowd or sitting on your butt pretending that's all it takes to help.

5 comments:

  1. Thought provoking post. I had heard a little about this but didn't know what it was until I read this. I'm not on fb, I deactivated my account a few months ago when I needed to streamline my social media activities. I love blogging & twitter, forget facebook.

    Anyway, you make an excellent point. Sometimes people do meaningless things that are trendy because it makes them feel like they're making a difference when the real differences are made in long-term lifestyle changes (I'm particularly thinking of 'going green' which I've done for years but never called it anything but being frugal). By you being a present mom in the home, and opening your home as a safe and joyous environment to your kids' friends, you are doing a lot more than just changing to a cartoon avatar could ever do. Props to you Tina.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doing something significant in the "real" world is the highest endeavor, I think. I don't go out much because I take care, 24/,7 of a disabled daughter, so I AM doing something in the world apart from blogging. But when I blog, I try to say something that will give a lift to someone who might be struggling in ways they don't admit on their blog. You struggle to help your husband with his business, and to care for your children and others. I think the Lord WILL help you provide for your family!! I'm glad I came over here from KarenG's blog to meet you!!
    Ann Best, A Long Journey Home

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard about this! I have a Facebook account, but only access it maybe twice a week.

    In my opinion, the best gifts are NOT money. You're providing the very best thing. You care, and the kids around you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't facebook much anymore, so I didn't realize this was going around.

    I completely agree with you though. It doesn't matter what you SAY, it's what you DO that counts. And you are 100% right, we don't always have the time or money to be able to do as much as we'd like. But doing whatever we can, whenever we can is what makes the difference between giving and just talking about it.

    Me, for instance, I'm a huge supporter of shelter dogs. Unfortunately, I don't have the time or space to lend as a foster home for dogs & cats needing help. But I have two rescue dogs of my own and made my vow years ago that anytime I was ever looking to add a new dog to my family, they'd come from a shelter or rescue group. It may not be much, but it's what I can do. If everyone took that approach we'd be able to fix a lot more wrongs in the world.

    Soldier on, Tina, soldier on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a family-which is pretty significant, I think. I lost everything, and I mean everything two years ago, but I'm slowly building back up. This is not financial; this is life. So while I may not have a fortune (actually I don't even have a penny), I do things within my capabilities. Like make Christmas cookies for the neighbors with my (brand new) step kids. Maybe next year I'll be able to volunteer somewhere (and I'll have less of a language barrier!)

    ReplyDelete